A few years ago, it would be almost impossible to hire a car without a credit card. These days, for several reasons including hard economic times that forced car rental companies to reconsider their stance, debit cards are becoming more widely accepted when renting vehicles.
However, you have to understand that it is quite a risk for car rental companies to rent out their valuable assets to people who they have never met before, with just trust in the good nature of people and on the financial systems ability to bring up red flags in case of a problem.
Since the credit card system is one of the best ways that credit can become available and borrowers made accountable, it is no wonder that car rental companies still have to make you go through many hoops in order to trust you with their vehicles, if you want a service without a credit card.
If it is in your power to do so, getting a credit card at www.gemvisa.co.nz and using it at the car rental company will make the process much easier than not having a credit card. If on the other hand you are not able to access a credit card, the following steps should be able to help you get a car without having to use a credit card.
- Do some research
The first thing that you need to do is to go to your favorite internet search engine and look for a car rental service that that will rent you a car without a credit card.As you do so, ensure that:
- The car rental service that you are considering can accept your debit card. You may find that some companies will accept either VISA cards or MasterCard cards and not both.
- You may also find that policies with regard to use of debit cards may vary, not only from one company to the other, but also from one branch of the same company to the other. As such, you should find out from a specific branch, what their requirements and rules are.
- Ensure that your actual legal name appears on the debit card that you present
When presenting the debit card, you will be required to use a debit card in your own name and not in your spouses or your parent’s name. You should have documents to support your identification.
- Present your debit card and be ready for a background check
Once you zero in on a car rental company that will accept your debit card;
- Be ready to answer several questions and provide documentation to prove that you are the owner of the debit card. You will have to bear through a personal financial background check before you can proceed to the next steps.
- As your financial background is done, you have to know that a certain extra amount onyour debit card will be held so that payment is guaranteed by the time you are returning the car.
- Be patient and wait for your details to be authenticated
Because you will be using a debit card and not a credit card, you will need to be patient enough for the car rental company to spend the extra time to authenticate your debit card details and that your bank account has sufficient funds to service the transaction.